Shoulder pain is one of the most common complaints seen in medical clinics. It can be due to a variety of causes, such as overuse, injury, or underlying medical conditions. Proper treatment is important to prevent long-term damage and to reduce pain and discomfort. Continue reading this Summerville back pain treatment
The first step in treating shoulder pain is to identify the underlying cause. This may include a physical examination, imaging tests, or a referral to a specialist. Once the cause is determined, your doctor can recommend a specific treatment plan.
Common treatments for shoulder pain include:
- Rest: Rest is often the first line of treatment for shoulder pain. This includes avoiding activities that cause you pain and taking a break from exercise or other activities that involve your shoulder.
- Ice/Heat: Applying ice or heat can help reduce inflammation and pain. Ice should be applied for 20 minutes at a time, several times a day. Heat should be used for about 15 minutes at a time.
- Pain Medication: Over-the-counter pain medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen can help reduce inflammation and pain. Prescription medications may be used if these do not work.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy can help strengthen the muscles in the shoulders and improve range of motion. This can help reduce pain and improve mobility.
- Steroid Injections: Steroid injections can be used to reduce inflammation and pain. This is usually done in combination with other treatments.
- Surgery: If other treatments do not work, surgery may be recommended to repair any damage to the shoulder.
No matter which treatment your doctor recommends, it’s important to follow their instructions and stick to the treatment plan. Doing so can help reduce pain and improve your shoulder’s range of motion.
If you’re experiencing shoulder pain, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Early treatment can help reduce pain and improve mobility. Talk to your doctor about the best treatment plan for your specific condition.